Clamp in Forumland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Clamp in Forumland

Welcome to Clamp discussion forum

I forgot my password

You can decide! Do you want to move to vBulltin? [update: 21st April]

Tue 14 Apr 2009, 11:58 by Shaolan

This Poll will find its end at the 1st May. Until that day you have time to vote or to edit your vote.

For the newest update (17th April) please go to the bottom of the page. it is written with …

Happy Easter! From all the Staff at Clamp In Forumland!!!

Mon 13 Apr 2009, 01:31 by Seishirou

Happy Easter everyone! Hope you have a lot of chocolate over there!!! ^^

No matter your religion, we hope the love rise inside your heart and get todether everyone today!!

Best wishes!!!

Latest topics

» Four Elements RP
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 14:30 by Saikua

» Kingdom of orphans
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 14:29 by Kirei Ryuusei

» Vanapia Hanto: Kawari Unmei
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 14:27 by Saikua

» The Prince Detective
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 14:26 by Kirei Ryuusei

» xxxholic chapter 182
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 13:55 by Seishirou

» One million pages thread!!
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 13:37 by Kyoki

» Rate that Character
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 13:36 by Kyoki

» Give the person above you a nickname
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 13:36 by Kyoki

» Watcha doing?
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 13:35 by Kyoki

» Banned game!
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 13:34 by Kyoki

» Horitsuba Gakuen
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 13:17 by Kirei Ryuusei

» Science and Life
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? EmptySat 23 May 2009, 12:46 by Jinx Rose Death

Poll

Who is your fave of the seven seals? (And others)
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_left41%Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_right 41% [ 46 ]
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_left41%Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_right 41% [ 45 ]
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_left5%Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_right 5% [ 5 ]
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_left3%Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_right 3% [ 3 ]
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_left5%Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_right 5% [ 6 ]
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_left0%Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_right 0% [ 0 ]
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_left2%Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_right 2% [ 2 ]
Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_left4%Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Bar_right 4% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 111

Keywords

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

+2
Sakura_fai
Rayna
6 posters

Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it?

Rayna
    Rayna
    User of the Month
    User of the Month

Leo Snake
    Birthday : 1989-08-15
    Job/hobbies : Selling photos/Social Service Worker
    Humor : Grand
    Member : Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934adb18e6_f
    Mood : Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Cheerful
    Registration date : 2008-10-24

Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Empty Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it?

Post by Rayna Wed 25 Mar 2009, 05:11

We've all heard the comments; we've all probably made remarks. We've possibly lectured some unknown soul who loved Cardcaptors as a child about how glorious the original was; the cuteness of it, with an equal amount of maturity, the herion being a female - the love which sparked between Syaoran and Sakura.

Now I'm going to ask you a different question - can you find, in anyway, beyond the fact that Cardcaptors may have introduced you to the real Cardcaptor Sakura - good things regarding the English dub?

Many of us here speak English as our Native Tounge, and as Cardcaptor Sakura may have been unavailable to us as children, we may have had to only resort to the English dub.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and list some positive aspects of the dub. Keep in mind I entirely believe the original to be the greatest creation ever -but I intend to make the dub seem remotely tolerable.

Also keep in mind that I reside in Canada-all episodes of Cardcaptors were released here, and Syaoran Li wasn't introduced until the 8 episode just like the original Japanese. (Of course, all of the edits and cuts were still there.) From my understand, in America - not all episodes were released, for whatever reason.

So, with that in mind, some positive point(s);

Kero: Yes, he was made obnoxious. Yes, he was a cute small teddy bear with the most over-bearing voice in comparison for his Japanese counterpart. But his voice did add some comedy. It was friendly in some strange way. Perhaps English Kero provided a safety-net with his louder voice in the English version. (Hey, he was just this small, little flying teddy!) Perhaps because things like the Kool-Aid man tend to appeal to us, that made Kero appeal to us. (As that who I sort of related his voice to.)

Yuui: I liked his English voice, it seemed to fit better.

Syaoran: Well, we got to experience the voice talents of what? Four different voice actors? At least Syaoran had different voices to play with...from sounding like a kid to an adult...

-They did allow a hug! Syaoran did hug Sakura in the elevator scene, however brief it was...

-catchy song, I forget what it's called? I think it was called "Guardian Of the Cards". Something like "you're the chosen one, yes you are. Your friends are here, it's crystal clear, you're the guardian of the cards." Well, I liked it.

I'm drawing some blanks currently...it's been so long since I've seen Cardcaptors...
    Sakura_fai
    Sakura_fai

Capricorn Dog
    Birthday : 1994-12-22
    Job/hobbies : living
    Humor : jokes that are FUNNY
    Bronze Member :
    Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934adb18e6_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 4929348528fe4_f
    Registration date : 2008-11-09

Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Empty Re: Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it?

Post by Sakura_fai Wed 08 Apr 2009, 10:56

I agree with your rayna, I liked the beginning song too. IT was awesome.

Although the dub ruined the names for me, (I thought Tomoyo as Madison for like so many years and pronouced 'Sakura' so badly, people cringed. and I still think of the English names of Sakura's friends instead of the original)
    I still enjoyed it. It was how I got into CCS, how I got into manga/anime, and how I got into the crazy world of the beloved CLAMP. XD

I don't find too many problems with the dub maybe because I grew up with it, but I think the voices aren't so bad, better than others I've heard. I think the major issue was how they changed the names. But really, would you rather have the voice actors butchering the Japanese names? or saying names that they can actually pronouce?

Of course, I haven't really watched alot of Cardcaptors. And now that I went back on Youtube to watch the dub, I've realized I missed alot of things, and although it's not good, and they did cut out alot of romance. There's always the little saying in the back of my mind: "Hey, it could've been worse." Plus, wasn't CCS one of the first, of the practice of dubbing animes into English? Because I don't remember many English animes around that time period except for Pokemon, and then YuGiOh. Then after those two, more series were being dubbed and pushed into America. But although people complain of CCS and such, they didn't really show it for a long time. I remember looking forward to it, and after like 1 or 2 years. IT was cut off. But that may only be in America.

Last edited by Sakura_fai on Sun 12 Apr 2009, 12:31; edited 1 time in total
    Rayna
    Rayna
    User of the Month
    User of the Month

Leo Snake

Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Empty Re: Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it?

Post by Rayna Thu 09 Apr 2009, 03:56

Sakura_fai wrote: or saying names that they can actually pronouce?

Funny that you said that! I'm surprised they retained the name "Sakura" as they constantly pronounced it "Sah-Koo-Rah" which drove me to break of insanity. (Alright, that's an over exaggeration >__< I loved how they switched Syaoran's name around, though. "Li" is a bit easier to pronounce I guess, for English-speakers. Li's not a bad name. I refer to them by their Japanese names, too.

I thought "Touya" turning into "Tori" wasn't too bad, however.
    Raj-kun
    Raj-kun

Aquarius Horse
    Birthday : 1991-02-07
    Job/hobbies : Computing, Drawing, Table Tennis
    Humor : Sarcastic
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Raj-kun Thu 09 Apr 2009, 21:53

The Cardcaptors version that I watched had full 70 episodes, plus the original four out of six opening and ending songs dubbed in english and hindi. The names were changed, and yet indeed on the overall I thought it was a decent job at english dubbing of Cardcaptor Sakura.

But obviously, when I watched the original Japanese version nothing could come near to that!
    YamiSakura
    YamiSakura

Taurus Buffalo
    Birthday : 1985-05-04
    Job/hobbies : Student
    Diamond Member : Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 49293414d1f85_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934bb513dc_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934a5426a4_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934156e676_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934adb18e6_f
    Mood : Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Mellow
    Registration date : 2008-10-20

Post by YamiSakura Fri 10 Apr 2009, 09:38

Raj-kun wrote:The Cardcaptors version that I watched had full 70 episodes, plus the original four out of six opening and ending songs dubbed in english and hindi.

Well, the "Cardcaptors" version I will be referring to is the US dub one >___> in which I can certainly name many things I can bash on with being "merging a few episodes into 1", "cutting out all the romance and making Li a total EMO kid who only blame himself not good enough to be the cardmaster" etc. as just some example fire

*ahem* anyway... staying on topic... Hm... to tell you the truth, I really couldn't think of "any" good out of the US dub Cardcaptor version ^^;;; The VA is okay I suppose, though I normally have an okay tolerate toward dub voices.

However, I suppose the "good" out of this : it is the first series who forced me to find the sub version to download and watch XD [yes, you can also say CCS is the first fansub series I have ever downloaded/watched from the internet]
    Prior to this series, I only resort to whatever anime I can watch on TV [meaning I mostly watched dub version before] or when I was a kid in HK, my brother would be the one renting the sub anime series from LD/VHS shop to watch. ^^

So, I suppose the "good" I got from "Cardcaptor" series is that "Because it is such a horrible series" that I need to find the original one to watch; in which, I am exposed to a whole new dimension that internet is an AMAZING source. angel There are so many uncensored/original JP anime out there I can easily downloaded/watched without spending the money to buy/rent the DVD/VHS.
    Or waited for DUBBING to be released on TV or some other media [if the series even got license at all and hoping that they didn't censor much -__-].
    chibi-chan
    chibi-chan
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Leo Dog
    Birthday : 1994-08-12
    Job/hobbies : eating, reading manga, dancing, drawing
    Humor : keke
    Diamond Member :
    Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 49293414d1f85_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934bb513dc_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934a5426a4_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934156e676_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934adb18e6_f
    Mood : Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Amused
    Registration date : 2008-09-02

Post by chibi-chan Sun 12 Apr 2009, 12:28

eh..I can't find anyting good in cardcaptors either >.< They cut and edited out most of the important scene and changed all the characters' names except fer Sakura ( that is the only thing I like that they didn't change her name but still..they couldn't even pronounce her name right!) I think Syaoran's voice is ok, but he does sound like a bratty kid sometimes >.>
    amethyst-rose
    amethyst-rose

Aquarius Buffalo
    Birthday : 1986-02-08
    Job/hobbies : Student who enjoys anime/manga, crossovers, shoujo-ai, CLAMP, astronomy, drawing, lots of stuff XD
    Silver Member :
    Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934156e676_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 492934adb18e6_f Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? 4929348528fe4_f
    Mood : Cardcaptors - Was there ANY good in it? Fine
    Registration date : 2008-12-08

Post by amethyst-rose Sat 18 Apr 2009, 18:10

You know, when I first watched it I was just starting high school and I hadn't really been exposed to too much anime and manga at the time, since I didn't use the computer much. So to me, it was sort of like the Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z dubs. I liked it because I hadn't known any better ^^; But now that I've seen the original, I honestly can't think of anything good that came out of it either, except for the fact that I liked it enough to actually search for it on the internet - though I hadn't become fully interested in it right away, but at least I had known about it ^^ I don't think I saw the US dub, because the version I remember hadn't merged several episodes into one and it had at least 70 (though I've never seen them all) so I don't know what happened there o_O

I'd actually like to see it re-dubbed as an uncut version. I think if FUNimation were to do it, they would probably do a fairly decent job of it now, since they've gotten pretty good with their dubbing and keeping a series original for the most part over the years, even though some of their voice actor choices for Tsubasa were bad ^^; As long as they picked the right voices to match the child characters, I think that they would do okay ^^;
    Rayna
    Rayna
    User of the Month
    User of the Month

Leo Snake

Post by Rayna Sun 19 Apr 2009, 05:09

amethyst-rose wrote: I don't think I saw the US dub, because the version I remember hadn't merged several episodes into one and it had at least 70 (though I've never seen them all) so I don't know what happened there o_O

Your status says you're from Canada so which is where I reside, too. They aired all 70 episodes here. In the United States, they originally started at episode 8, as opposed to episode 1 - which is where it started in Canada. They wanted to introduce Li Shaoran as a main character, and sadly-he doesn't appear until episode 8. But the dub in United States was even worse. They skipped quite a few episodes, I'm not even sure if the series was completed at first. It was here. They even showed the elevator scene where Syaoran embrases Sakura - although that scene was cut short. :/ Then again, if one of our companies had purchased the right to Cardcaptor Sakura, we probably would've kept a lot. (The fact gay marriages are legal here..., but I don't know if they would've kept Meilin as Syaoran's cousin...that's really hard to tackle!) Actually, I hear the Quebec version of CCS was really decent!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 12:45